Just a super quick morning update on how day 1 of focussing on working on me went!
The progress I made may seem really small, but to me the things I did were HUGE so please respect that what’s easy, unimportant and insignificant to some may be difficult, super important and very significant to others.
- I took my weight in the morning. This was my first step yesterday in getting back into a healthy routine and in being disciplined, which is super important to the health of type 4’s on the Enneagram. It was also the first step in focussing again on my health and wellbeing.
- Washing my hands with a beautiful Lush soap (Golden Pear) instead of a cheap hand soap. I have a strange difficulty with using Lush products because of my mental health, so ALLOWING myself to use such a beautiful Lush product for an action we do maybe 10 times a day means a lot in terms of my personal growth and in starting to love myself more.
- I drank a bottle of water before breakfast. Again, practising routine, discipline, self-care and focussing on my health.
- I had a hot, cooked, proper, fairly balanced, low calorie breakfast. My breakfast was 2 pieces of vegan bacon rashers, cooked with just a hot frying pan and dripping in a few drops of water every now and then, and a third of a tin of baked beans. This step was pretty huge for me as I’ve become somewhat un-functional due to my mental health recently, so to again shift my focus and attention toward self-care, my health and my happiness was huge.
- I made myself a tasty, calorie controlled coffee. Again, shifting my focus toward self-care.
- I made myself a lovely, hot, big bath using Lush’s Puddy Holly Bubbleroon. I got this bath product as a gift on Christmas day from my fiance, and simply haven’t allowed myself to dedicate the energy, time or enjoyment toward taking a bath using this product since then. Another action toward developing my self-love and self-care.
- I took the bath and did loads of little pampering things while I did! I washed my hair with the Godiva shampoo bar from Lush, conditioned my hair with TRESemme’s Remoisturising Conditioner, detangled my hair with my fingers and put my hair up in a shower cap with the conditioner still in, exfoliated my face using the Bath Essentials Exfoliating Gloves from Tesco and added a bit of Prince Charming Shower Cream onto the gloves so I could clean my face at the same time, I exfoliated my body with Lush’s The Rough With The Smooth Shower Scrub, shaved, brushed my teeth, washed my body with the Prince Charming Shower Cream from Lush using a shower pouf, moisturised my body with Lush’s Christingle Body Conditioner and rinsed everything off. Phew! For me, all of that was a MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT. I felt so, so clean and fresh and amazing afterwards. This was a massive step toward developing my self-love and self-care, and in feeling more confident about myself. It definitely instantly raised my self esteem.
- I drank another bottle of water! Yay for paying attention to your health, having discipline and following routine 🙂
- I had a nice, hot, sort-of balanced, calorie limited lunch. I made myself some sort of tasty vegan burger from Sainsbury’s (the Sweet Potato, Quinoa & Lentil Burger) with a couple of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil on the side. SO tasty. Another step toward self-care and paying attention to my health.
- I used some nail clippers to clip down all of my nails. My nails have been needing clipping for a really long time so this one was super satisfying. I hate having long nails because they always tear and I just find them really dirty and uncomfortable and gross. I like them JUST below the finger itself.
- I made myself another tasty, calorie limited coffee.
- I cleaned off all the old nail polish and any residue using some nail polish remover.
- I PAINTED MY NAILS! This step has made me so happy you guys have no idea. I took my time and painted them really, really nicely and I absolutely love them so, so much. I used the OPI ‘It’s A Piazza Cake’ nail lacquer. It’s basically an orange, reddy, dark, Autumnal, warm colour. I think it might be my favourite colour in the world. It is cosy, vibrant, beautiful, sexy, interesting, and I think it’s a colour that I associate with all seasons (the pumpkins, spices , lights and leaves of Autumn, the spices, food and gingerbread of Winter, the life and flowers of spring and the sunsets, tropical fruits, holidays and warmth of Summer). It’s a beautiful colour. This was a really forward moving step in my self-development.
- I drank ANOTHER bottle of water! These bottles are 600ml BTW, so this meant a total of 1.8 litres for yesterday. I know, not the MOST ideal, but I really stayed disciplined, focussed on my health and stuck to routine much better than I previously would have.
That’s all guys! I will be trying to work on myself today also, and will keep track of the steps I take toward me being the best version of myself and hopefully will update you all again tomorrow. I definitely feel that honestly, in just one day, I blossomed as a four so much 🙂
Here are the main 10 things at the front of my mind that I’d like to get done BEFORE I go back to Uni next Monday, as most of them are kinda essential to living a nice, happy, healthy, functional student life. This is probably a really long and boring list to read but uh, writing it helped me to get myself together for the start of a new day.
- Going to actually get my bra size professionally measured so that I can wear bras that are actually COMFORTABLE and that actually FIT and LOOK GOOD ON ME! I have literally stopped wearing bras since around a month ago purely because of how uncomfortable they all were on me – so it’s time I get myself down to Selfridges and get myself properly measured for the first time in my life. I chose Selfridges because if I’m going to do something that I’m going to find this uncomfortable, there’s no doubt that I’m going to make sure that I get the job done as properly as possible. Selfridges also sell an insanely good, popular, all-rounder that I have my eye on.
- Write a blog post about our new kitten Kepler because he is a big change to mine and my fiance’s life and adopting him was a decision that took a lot of thought and consideration.
- Get my Serious Adverse Circumstances for my missed exam submitted ASAP and to the best of my ability so that I have my best chance of having a deferral to sit the exam in June instead. The exam was worth 80% of the module however I was feeling very unwell that morning and had to miss it – I had NO IDEA how difficult it would be in the end to basically prove that I’m not a liar. It is what it is and I have made all the right decisions, it’s just down to the exam board people to decide if my adverse circumstances were serious enough I guess.
- Buy myself at least 3 new bras so that I’m at least minimally sorted with all of this bra faff for the time being. Again, I literally haven’t even worn any of my bras for around a month because of HOW UNCOMFORTABLE THEY ARE, so I’m kinda starting from scratch here.
- Buy some new stationary for Uni from Poundland so I can be restocked and ready for Semester B of my second year on this degree! I bought all my stationary for Semester A during the Summer from Poundland and it was the best decision I could have made – I was able to buy a ton of stuff that was perfect for being a student and for an affordable price. I designated each item a purpose (e.g. for writing assignments, for classwork etc) which has kept me more organised and motivated to produce some really good work so far this year!
- To declutter everything that I physically own in my flat, so that we can have more space! I’ve been watching the KonMari method on Netflix and it has absolutely inspired me to once again declutter, and without the guilt of feeling ungrateful for owning the things I might decide to get rid of – because the KonMari method involves holding each item individually and thanking it for the service it did for you. Although I’m fairly privileged and never went without when I was growing up, I still grew up in a very low income household, which has caused me to be a bit of a hoarder as an adult – despite my household income being fine now. I just feel so much guilt for getting rid of anything – there’s someone out there who would be so appreciative to own what I’m considering rubbish, and that thought really upsets me. But, I deserve to have space, and giving things to charity allows those people to find the amazing items that don’t fit into my life anymore.
- Get all of my coursework done really well by Thursday 17th January – because I have two pieces of programming coursework due in by then and I really just need to sit down and get it done really well.
- Self love needs to happen – I need to appreciate my favourite clothes, test out that Caca Rouge henna sample from Lush, give my hair a trim, post some awesome photos onto Instagram, do my makeup, brows, nails and shave, curl my hair, take a bath and all the other good things that just help me to feel like the awesome person I am!
- Give my plants so love – give them a good water, put them in the positions that are best for them in the flat and write a blog post about them. I have some of the most gorgeous plants to take care of, and it would be far too sad to not share them with everybody online!