THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG POST.
Just had to get that out the way. If you don’t like reading, well… you shouldn’t be on a blogging site in the first place to be honest! If you aren’t in the mood for reading then that’s cool, but this post isn’t for you at this moment of time 😉
My posts are already always really long because well, I write them mostly for myself, and I enjoy typing I guess! This one is going to be EXTRA long though – you’ve been warned!!!
Okay, so on my 22nd Birthday I began setting myself goals of anything and everything (pretty much) that I wanted to achieve during the following year. I was pretty upset about getting older, so giving myself some goals, and seeing what things I wanted to save for later in my life at the same time, made me feel younger, motivated and excited for the following year as well as… I don’t know… comfortable with my age I suppose. I am not at terms with my aging process.
Getting older means I get to achieve new things and experience exciting things in my life for a year longer. Getting older means my life gets to move forward and grow, so really, getting older makes me happy now if anything! I definitely have a new appreciation for my aging process – not that I’d wish to be any older, but I wouldn’t wish to be any younger either. I’m happy just the way things are going 🙂
Anyways, so I was pretty rough on myself and set myself I think 29 goals! Bloody hell Storm, was you trying to kill yourself?!
These goals have been, for the most part, what I’ve been at least TRYING to base my actions on for the past year 🙂
I will write what they were here, and we can see how I did at them 😉
- Get your first tattoo.
- Get yourself 2 additional piercings to your septum piercing.
- Cut off all of that nasty dyed hair.
- Start experimenting with temporary hair dyes.
- Start curling your hair regularly.
- Have one of each type of Lush product.
- Get a goddamn job!
- Make a budget/money plan.
- Start saving up money.
- Lose enough weight so that I’m at the healthiest, safest weight for my height.
- Start exercising a healthy amount regularly.
- Be more strict and mindful of what I’m eating.
- Find a new dentist.
- Begin tidying up regularly.
- Use Lush regularly and for everything that I can.
- Drink a healthy amount of water regularly.
- Stay with Richard another year!
- Make some new friends.
- Buy a plant and actually take care of it and keep it alive.
- Give (and hopefully receive) pre-engagement ring.
- Learn all Mathematics and Physics A level material!
- Take all my exams.
- Complete application to Uni.
- Teach myself academic subjects that I’m not being taught, in my free time.
- Register and begin studying on the 1st year of my degree.
- Travel to 2 new places with my partner.
- Move out into appropriate housing for Uni.
- Begin learning an instrument.
- Start spending time on some hobbies!
Okay guys, I know that it’s a lot – TRUST me. I’m the one that tried to achieve all them things!!!
I will try and get through how each of these goals went briefly, but this could take a while..! Any in red are ones I did not achieve by my 23rd birthday and green ones are ones I did 🙂
- I never got my first tattoo. I would have done if I had the funds to do so, but I didn’t. I also want my first tattoo to be to do with my partner, so it needs a lot of thought to put into it! I think I’m going to get this tattoo VERY soon though, as a birthday gift to myself using my savings 🙂
- Okay, so the piercings goal. I had pierced my septum myself earlier that year, and was so chuffed with it that I just really wanted to get some more holes in my body. I planned later in the year to get myself a forward helix piercing and a navel piercing. I bought all the piercing equipment for them and gave it a shot. I successfully made a hole in my ear, but the positioning was off, so I had to take it out. It was pretty though! I also attempted to pierce my navel on 2 separate occasions – both times I fainted! It wasn’t super painful, I’m not even sure why I fainted. After the same thing happened with the second attempt I knew it wasn’t a fluke, and know that this is one I can only get if I go to a professional. I still want these piercings and hopefully will get them sometime soon – first I want to re-pierce my septum straight though 😉
- Cut off all that nasty dyed hair? I’m amazed at this one, but I actually did it. It’s all gone! I have virgin hair for the first time in over 10 years! Hurrah! I’m so proud of myself and it feels even healthier than I could have imagined. I’ve been out of conditioner since… god knows how long… It has been around 6 months I think, and my hair is still always really soft and lovely!
- Okay, I bought some super temporary hair dye. It’s actually chalk spray for your hair. I’ve haven’t used it yet, but I’ll try to remember to for an event or something. It’s a light purple colour and I think it will look really nice sprayed on space buns 🙂
- I curled my hair once using hair rollers, and that’s about it. Using bendy hair rollers is the only way I seem able to achieve the type of curl that I like, but it is a very time consuming process and time is one thing I often don’t have. I think once it becomes routine, it will come much easier to me 🙂
- Haha, a Lush goal… gosh. That’s when you know someone has gone Lush-mad, when even their goals are based on Lush! I do not own one of each type of Lush product unfortunately – I mostly haven’t delved into the hair care products. Again, I’ve been pretty strapped for cash, but it is still a wish of mine to review every vegan Lush product… One day Storm, one day… !
- A job? I STILL HAVE NEVER HAD A CONVENTIONAL JOB IN MY LIFE! That is to say that I have worked freelance jobs, but never had a sort of normal paying job. I try, I guess not hard enough. Being a student is a busy life, trust me. I still obviously intend to get myself a job ASAP though!
- A budget/ money plan is one thing I do have in place. It has only been in place since I began receiving my student loan, but it is entirely necessary. If I don’t follow a strict budget plan there is no way I could afford to live! My partner made it for me on a spreadsheet using lots of little formulas, so whenever my income changes, so does the ratio of rent I pay, the amount I’m putting toward savings, my spending money etc. It’s really handy but very difficult to follow! I need a job guys!
- Yep, along with the budget plan comes saving up money, something which I am currently attempting to do! I’m not sure I’m doing GREAT at it because my income is crap, but I definitely am saving!
- Losing weight. Okay, this is one I have attempted MANY times throughout the past year. It was one of the most important goals to me and no matter how hard I tried, I still failed. At the present, I don’t own any scales, and I find it difficult to lose weight when I don’t know what my weight is. It is something I’m going to continue working on for sure though 🙂
- Exercising is another one I’ve not succeeded at, but is still something I’d really like to sort out.
- Be more strict and mindful of what I’m eating? Hmm, well… I have definitely tried. I am not doing perfectly – I still drink fizzy drinks on occasion and crisps, and my partner really enjoys packaged food so I still have quite a bit of that. I do think I am doing a lot better than I was though, and I definitely have been trying to make an effort. I’m going to say I failed this one too, because I wanted to have banned unhealthy foods really, but I definitely still eat it on a weekly basis.
- Find a new dentist – okay so I moved recently and have found what seems to be the best dentist in the area. I’m going to sign up ASAP 🙂 I’m going to say I failed this one too because although I found the dentist, I haven’t registered yet… I know, I’m pretty tough on myself, I’m a perfectionist!
- Tidying up regularly? Nope!
- Use Lush regularly for everything I can? There are still a lot of different sorts of products I haven’t even tried yet, like hair and hand masks for example, so I didn’t really succeed at this. I do, however, use the Lush products that I do own for everything I can. For example, I own a Lush cleanser and it is the only cleanser I use. I only use Lush shower gels and shampoo etc. So… I’m going to say this is a success? I don’t have any good routines to using my products, but they are the only ones I use so…!
- I had been drinking a brilliant amount of water up until recently. I think as it gets colder my body begins to reject plain cold water. It just makes me so cold! I’ll give it another go though…
- Stay with my partner? That I have pretty much done. I am still with him today, so that’s all good 🙂
- Make some new friends. Okay well um… I don’t know whether I have or have not honestly. I have met people on my course who I get on with, and they are definitely people that I like, but how close are we really? Would they all come to a party I arrange if I invited them? I live sort of far from the uni, so I don’t think any of them would bother to be honest! I probably wouldn’t either to be fair, so… I don’t know… I definitely have new people I like in my life but I’m not sure that they are really at the true friends level yet. So I’m going to say this is a fail! Let’s hope that changes soon though 🙂
- Take care of a plant. Okay, so a bought a gorgeous Kalanchoe geranium plant last November, and I love it to bits. It is still alive although I probably do not tend to it as much as I should. I’m going to say this was a success, which is fantastic! I’ve always been rubbish at being responsible for another life – plants always die on me and I have never felt like I was as good of a pet owner as I wanted to be, so taking care of a plant is a great first step 🙂
- Pre-engagement rings.For those of you who have not heard of them before, they are rings that you give to your partner that resemble the intent and promise to engage them at some point in the future. Some people think these are for kids or that they are pointless, but it depends on your perspective. From the perspective of wanting to be very serious and mature about the relationship, pre-engagement rings feel like a good stepping stone to getting engaged. It is never good to rush into a relationship, and is much wiser to take time to allow it to progress steadily and sturdily. Me and my partner are young and still learning, we want to make sure we are good enough versions of ourselves for our eachother before making massive promises. We are taking it slow and enjoying every stage of the relationship – there’s no rush and taking it slow leaves so much more to be excited for in the future! I gave my partner one for our anniversary earlier this year, and he gave me one on my birthday! A success, yay!
- Okay so I failed at this one for sure. I didn’t finish the material for either Physics or Mathematics A level – hence why I am now on an extended degree!
- Nope, didn’t take all my exams. I couldn’t book my Physics ones because the practicals were too expensive, and I only took 2/6 of the Mathematics exams because they were just causing me far too much stress because of having not learnt the material enough! I did study a lot – I was self teaching myself 2 full AS levels and A levels in Mathematics and Phsyics in approximately 7 months. Not an easy task!
- I completely my application to Uni. Yay!
- Self teach myself academics in my free time. I haven’t been doing this unfortunately!
- I have indeed registered at my university and have begun my degree course. Hurrah!
- Me and my partner, since Rome, traveled to Paris in France, Glasgow in Scotland and Kas in Turkey. So definitely a success and such an exciting one – I must blog about these travels!
- We also both moved into our new home together, and have been living here for exactly one full month since. It is incredible to have a home together and to have the freedom to be in charge of decorating, what food is in the cupboard etc. It’s absolutely amazing and achieving this seemed so unlikely at the time, but it has really happened and I am so grateful for it. I am so much happier because of this move, and although it is far distance-wise from my university, travelling there takes approximately 47 minutes. Those minutes include a 17 minute walk to the train station, an 18 minute train ride and a 12 minute walk from the station to the college. The train is very fast so most of the journey is actually just walking to and from the station, which is fine!
- I failed at beginning to learn an instrument – too little money to buy one!
- I haven’t really begun spending time on hobbies, which sucks. I do things I enjoy, like writing in this blog of mine. I haven’t consciously set time aside for creative hobbies though, like reading or painting or joining a dance class. Soon though!
I make that a total of 11/29 goals achieved during the past year. Maybe that isn’t great, but it is something! It’s amazing looking back and seeing how much progress you have made. I much prefer birthday goals than new years resolutions. To me, new years resolutions don’t even make sense. Goals shouldn’t be based on some random date. Goals are personal and in my opinion, should be based on the individual’s personal growth – making birthdays the perfect date!
I’ve enjoyed having goals. It has been stressful as hell, I definitely set myself too many. I’m going to do the same this year and set myself some goals. I didn’t set any on my actual birthday, so I’m at a few days disadvantage this year 😉 I’m definitely going to go easier on myself, and male sure I hack out some of those goals I didn’t achieve this year!
I’d recommend setting goals for oneself fully. It has overall been an extremely positive experience, and I don’t think I could have another birthday without setting some new goals for myself now!
Now I’m off to set myself some new goals to achieve over the following year.
Seeya! – Storm x